San Mateo County Historic Courthouse

Redwood City, California

Peeling back the layers of history, DES orchestrated the demolition of a 1930s-era annex and reconstruction of the 1910 entry portico and façade for this courthouse listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Through historic images and meticulous research, DES was able to recreate the former façade with its stately columns, Roman renaissance-style portico, and eagle sculptures, while updating the building seismically and making it accessible. Fronted by a large open plaza with fountains, the rejuvenated courthouse is now the heart for a town commons that is stimulating economic revitalization in the downtown and reconnecting the community.

project features

  • historic building listed on National Registry of Historic Buildings
  • building preservation and renovation
  • ADA upgrade